I go in waves with this blog. Sometimes I feel like keeping everything private, and then other times I wish I had a "paper trail" to look back on and reminisce about certain events or little things that have happened. I usually stop writing on this because I start to worry about what other people think: "does this seem too vain?" "who even reads this?" "am I another annoying online pest?" I don't even like the term "blogger" because it has almost become a bit of a vanity insanity craze.
But lately I re-focused - a mental "Spring Cleaning" if you will - and took stock of why I started this website in the first place:
- A virtual place to house my travel adventures (big and small)
- Keepsake of memories (moving and still)
- For the love of writing! I get to ramble on about whatever I want in this online oasis and that's pretty darn great. It also serves as a regular writing ritual to keep the synapses sharp. It's like if you don't practice piano for awhile (or anything for that matter), then you become rusty, so I like that I can keep up my writing chops in-between freelance pieces etc
- Photo dumping grounds! I have pictures saved all over the place (still working on that organizational skill) so I love that I can easily purge and find pics on this when I need to!
- Creative outlet - I think I would go crazy if I didn't have this as a creative outlet. Writing, taking photos, and making dinky little films bring me a lot of happiness - so I do them just for the pure joy of the act! In that sense, it keeps me sane :)
I've decided to put some more TLC into this little place in cyberspace. Typing it out here will help keep me accountable. I'm going to start small and aim for the following:
- Life Lately (monthly post) - this is mostly for myself! I love looking back on old posts and seeing what I was into years ago at various points of time (back to the 'keepsake' thing)
- Travel Diary (1-2/month) - a way for me to keep track of weekend trips (or 'glamping adventures') in words + photos!
- Misc. posts (ie. 'Food Friday' to purge some of my fav recipes now and then...but not that often because I'm no expert in the kitchen and mostly rely on my talented chef friends + cookbooks anyway...plus this is more of a "travel log" so I'll try to keep it focused mostly on that)
In any case, thanks for reading and following along if you are! Let me know if there's anything you'd like to see or know more about.
Before signing off, here are few things that have been going on with me / that I'm obsessed with lately (in no particular order) :
- The S-Town podcast - binge listened to it as I walked around Toronto ... SOOO GOOD
- My sisters: Grace and Mere - one's my roomie/sisterwife, the other is finishing up her exchange in Finland and they're just the greatest people alive
- Geoff - he'll cringe if he ever reads / sees this but he takes up a big chunk of my heart so deserves a soft shout out (I love him in this video :D)
- Mexico - still buzzing from this trip + bamboo tree house
- Weddings/Engagements - not my own (!!) but I seem to have hit that phase in life where everyone is getting hitched and it's really fun to see people you love so in love and the fun activities that come along with it!
- J. Lohr - because, red wine
- Maki My Way (takeout) - because, sushi
- Sukhothai (takeout) - because, green spicy curry
- Bad Reality TV: The Real Housewives of TORONTO / Beverly Hills / New York (guilty pleasures)
- The final season of GIRLS on HBO - SO impressed with the writing + topics they're covering this season...best one yet!
- 13 Reasons Why on Netflix - (well done Selena Gomez!) the acting/cinematography/suspense is great and I also like how they tackle mental health issues in a very "real world" kind of way
- Abstract: The Art of Design on Netflix - F A S C I N A T I N G docu-series !!!