I swore by this smoothie every morning before class when I was living in Boston. I'd literally hop out of bed and half-skip to the kitchen I was so excited to start my daily ritual and blend that baby up.
I was never a cult smoothie drinker before but I was hooked once it wiggled its way into my breakfast rotation. I used to make it for everyone who came to visit and boast about the benefits. I got most of my pals on the bandwagon (muahaha).
First of all it tastes really good (#1 seller for any smoothie), and it's hearty enough to fill you up but not too heavy where you sink into a couch coma. The big thing for me was that I noticed a huge difference in my energy levels, my skin was clearer, and it boosted my overall mood.
When I moved to Toronto, I started experimenting with some other scrumptious smoothie recipes (c/o: The Oh She Glows cookbook) resulting in my original fav taking a backseat for a bit.
My friend Alexandra recently re-asked me for the recipe so I dug it up from an old blog post to re-share the wealth! All hail the mighty maca.
- 3 dates
- 1 banana
- 1 1/2 cups of almond milk
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 6 ice cubes
- 1/2 tsp bee pollen
- 1 tbsp maca powder
- 1 tsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tbsp raw unrefined coconut oil
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- Dash of cinnamon
Directions: Blend 'em good (serves 2)
Fun Benefits of the “Super” Ingredients:
- Bee Pollen: Energy enhancer, immune booster, anti-allergen, skin soother
- Maca Powder: Grown in the mountains of Peru, known to boost libido (whoa nelly) and stamina, mood and hormone balancer, skin clearer
- Raw Cacao Powder: Antioxidants, anti-aging, anti-inflammatory
- Chia Seeds: High in protein, antioxidants, deliver the max amount of nutritional benefits
- Coconut Oil: Brain booster, staves off sickness, energy enhancer, improves hair and skin
- Ginger: Anti-inflammatory, strengthens immunity, maintains normal blood circulation, cold and flu prevention