I wanted to write down some of the weird things that I am OBSESSED with lately because, why not? I don't think when I'm 100 I'll look back and say: "Wow Lou, really revolutionary stuff there" (I used to say "when I'm 80" as my far-off hyperbole but I'm adding a couple decades to that, triple digits is the ultimate). Also if I ever refer to my 100-year-old self in the third person, please poke me with my walking stick (that I plan on decorating as a giant candy cane).
I like remembering the quirky day-to-day, week-to-week, month-to-month random things that make me tick. I just found my old BIG SHINY TUNES 2 CD and got all nostalgic. Semi-Charmed Kind of Life has been on repeat an obnoxious amount.
1. Raw Unrefined Coconut Oil - this obsession may borderline on unhealthy. I think this was "trendy" awhile ago but I use it now more than ever. This puppy goes in my morning smoothie (see #4), I lather it on the ends of my hair every night (perks of living alone, I can put weird crap in my hair/terrifying face masks on and have zero qualms about it), dab it around the corners of my eyes (keepin' those pesky crows at bay), and my friend told me it promotes "mouth health" so I swirl it around my gums every now and then. When I make eggs in the morning (or for dinner) I grease the pan with good ol' CO instead of butter/oil. I definitely drank the coconut oil kool-aid on this one (wait, does Kraft have that flavour yet?)
2. Lemon in Hot Water - another friend got me hooked on this and now I have a hot cup of water with fresh lemon in it 2-3 times A DAY (jesus, I already am 100). It makes me feel like a million bucks, mentally and physically. I'm also that freak who puts lemon or lime or cucumber (not all at once) in my water bottles for the library / class / the gym. I used to think that was a treat they only did at spas until I grew up and realized that it's a pretty basic concept that just makes you feel fancy...
3. My Norway Bay Stone Coasters - these were a gift from sweet Shelbs that I use daily and have gotten so many compliments on! I love 'em (and they'll last forever)
4. My Morning Smoothie - I make this every single morning and have shared it with some of my visitors (they're all hooked!) I posted the recipe previously here - this brings me to my Measuring Spoons (from Anthropologie) that I'm also obsessed with. They make me want to measure everything and anything (they're so cute and cheery!)
5. Cinnamon in my coffee grinds - (this isn't really "new" but I'm adding it in because I don't think this obsession is going anywhere anytime soon) // Stumptown Coffee - I found a stash at the Whole Foods near my house (it's a baby Whole Foods so they don't usually have it) and I bought all of it (shoved 'em all in my backpack for the walk home)! If buying unnecessary amounts of iced coffee (in little beer bottles) in the midst of one of the coldest winters Boston's ever seen isn't an addiction, I don't know what is! (Oh, I also ordered some bags of whole beans off their website...House Blend / Holler Mountain / Hair Bender)
6. Mast Brothers Chocolate - little pricey for chocolate but I don't normally indulge so I feel like it's okay to splurge every now and then. Created by two bearded brothers from Iowa (who live in Brooklyn), this artisan "bean-to-bar" chocolate tastes real good. I'm also a sucker for clean, simple, aesthetically-pleasing packaging (marketing brain).
7. Glass Calligraphy Pen & Lou Stamp - a gift (plus a little pot of fresh ink) from my friend Gill & another gift from my friends Alexandra & Joel...both of which I am completely obsessed with and make my heart SEWWW happy. Snail Mail will never be the same.
8. My Adventure Hat (can't stop wearing it around the house or on any daily adventure really)
9. Pink Moon Cactus (pretty pet!)
10. Other than Big Shiny Tunes 2, I can't stop listening to these songs (among others) and boppin' around my apt or down the street while wearing #8: